Sound Clarity for Pianist? (hammer weight)

Dennis H. Johnson djohn@skypoint.com
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:00:13 -0600

Stanwood writes:

>Larry,
>
>It's refreshing to hear your sensible logical analysis which is born of
>observing pianos in the real world.  I refer the light hammer tone as
>"Antique".

--------------

Am I reading too much into this statement if I understand you to imply that
a "sensible, logical analysis" born of real world observations is dependent
on the conclusion that one prefers heavy hammers?

I have heard and played both full and low projection each from heavy and
light hammers. Not infrequently, a player has complained of dull tone,
especially in the treble, and a little weight reduction worked miracles
(without reducing bore length).

What we need is a spectrum analysis of a heavy hammer/full leverage, then,
that same hammer should be reduced at least 1 gram and put with low
leverage parts on that same note on the same piano. After this, I would
thin the low leverage shank and read the spectrum a third time.  I am
currently trying to coordinate such an experiment with our Physics Dept.
Unfortunately, my best connection to the Physics lab just retired this
spring. Everyone interested in this subject should make a point to hear
Stephen Birkett at our CAUT forum in Dearborn.

In the meantime, I still insist that good, full tone is possible from
either heavy or light hammers and I offer both in our hall. However, the
players that I work with seem to be more interested in the touch and
responsivness of the action than with ultimate projection. What they want
is a spacial sound and a quick, responsive touch.  The one with heavy
hammers is currently sitting backstage.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College