Haines Bros.

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 00:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Jim. Over the years I've rebuilt several 19th century Chickering grands
(the ones with the killer 4 piece pinblocks) that were truly outstanding
instruments. Likewise I've rebuilt several later Chickering Ampico grands
and a couple of Quarter Grands (Killer 2 piece pinblocks) that were also
quite good, although not quite as good as the earlier ones. Old Chickering
uprights are another story. They have not held up nearly as well over the
years as Steinway uprights of similar vintage (late 19th and early 20th
centuries). Soundboard, bridge and pinblock problems are much more frequent-
ly encountered in older Chickering uprights than they are in older Steinway
uprights. Then, too, the design of those old Chickering upright actions
can present the technician with a variety of knotty restoration problems.
And to top it all off their tone quality was unexceptional. To put it into
perspective, Chickerings reputation was established by their 19th century
grands, which, at their very best, could give similar vintage Steinway
grands a run for their money. However, as far as uprights go, Late 19th
and early 20th century  Steinways out-classed those built by Chickering
by a country mile. In fact, Steinway uprights of that vintage get my
vote as some of the finest ever built by anyone, anytime, anyplace. The
quality of even the Chickering grands started to decline once they be-
came part of the American Piano Company in 1907. And, of course, once
the American Piano Company was taken over by Aeolian, Chickering never
again would provide any competition at all to Steinway. It's glory days
were clearly behind it. And, as we all know, in more recent years Aeolian
produced some really bad instruments carrying the once proud name of
Chickering. One of the five pianos that I own is an 1896 Chickering grand
which I restored many years ago and was just too good to sell. It is a
constant reminder to me of how good Chickerings could be at their very best.
And it remains to this day one of my "benchmark" pianos, against which I
measure all others.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net