Which Hammers?

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Sat, 08 Jun 1996 02:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

At 03:38 PM 6/7/96 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>   I'm preparing an estimate to replace the hammers (among several other
>things) on a 5'2" Marshall & Wendell grand, serial #109800. The piano is in
>a fairly large, uncarpeted room of a townhouse that also has no drapes or
>anything else to absorb sound, so it is a fairly "loud" room.
>   Can someone recommend a brand of hammers that would have a good chance
>of sounding good in this particular situation, i.e. not too bright?
>   Feel free to e-mail me privately if you don't wish to "go on record".
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>   Thanks.
>

>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>Houston, TX 77204-4893
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu
>_____________________________________

Avery,

        We completed this same (size & name brand) piano 6 months ago.  I
would highly recommend Immedegawa-mahagony moldings from Pianotek.  This
hammer voices nicely with the warm tone you desire, also the weight is a tad
lighter than say that of Abel...less work you see.  Correct me if I'm wrong
group, but I believe these hammers are made of high quality Nippon
felt...and in comparison (you may like to try Pacific's Gold series..i.e.
same felt)...Very nice results for the medium grade grand.

Good luck,

Dave Swartz, RPT
dms2000@pioneerplanet.infi.net
Majestic Piano