Piano Rescaling Software

MR ALLAN H DAY XSVM93A@prodigy.com
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:14:51, -0500

-- [ From: ALLAN DAY * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
 Expanded recipient data:
 To:   Tremaine Parsons         \ CompuServe:  (71347,3426)

> Date: Monday, 03-Jun-96 10:50 AM
>
> From: Rob Kiddell              \ Internet:    (atonal@planet.eon.net)
> To:   ALLAN DAY                \ PRODIGY:     (XSVM93A)
>
> Subject: Piano Rescaling Software
>
> Greetings Everybody,
>
>         I'm putting together an article for my newsletter about piano
> rescaling software, specifically, what's out there, its quality, and
> availability.
>
>         I've pulled info and demos on PSCALE and WinScale off the
net.
> I've  heard of ReScale for DOS, but haven't seen it. Also, are there
> rescaling packages for platforms other than IBM, and if so, what are
> they?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> 8-)  Rob
> Rob Kiddell
> C.A.P.T. Student
> P.T.G. Associate
> Edmonton, Canada
> http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal.html

Dear Rob, I have used PSCALE for 5 pianos. I've just finished crunching
the scale info on the 5th piano a mighty 4' 10" Erhard. I'll be using
it for a Conover "fairy" grand  in the Fall.
   So far all the pianos I've applied PSCALE to have been short no-name
grands. In every case the improvements have been dramatic. Early
attempts were more difficult because of my unfamiliararity with the
process and the "hand cranking" level of the program.
    Recently Tremaine has made significant "auto Scaling" improvements
in his upgrades so figuring a good scale is surprisingly easy.
    I used Schaff strings with the last 3 pianos. I found not only
better execution in the winding but Steve, in the string dept., took
the time to alert me of possible errors (mine).
    My only wish is to find a quick way to measure the original
strings.
Good luck from the Green Mountains, Allan