EMERSON 1895 PIANO WITH N

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Tue, 04 Jun 1996 07:59:58 -0800

 Lg> Subject: Emerson 1895 piano with no capstans

 Lg> expect to see capstans, there were black rectangles of felt, upon
 Lg> which the whippens
 Lg> rested directly.  Lacking a jack stretcher,  I see no way of adjusting
 Lg> lost motion!

Sometimes I've seen a flat head screw underneath this little black rectangle
of felt. If the felt is not glued down on either the front or back side, look
underneath for this adjustment screw. You will need to remove the keys one at
a time and make trial by error adjustments.
Old Emersons must have been high tension scales because they always seem to
be string breakers. Try lowering the pitch slightly on each string as you
tune to break rust loose at the termination points. Remember when splicing
bass strings to use a splicing segment that is 1/2 size larger than the core
wire. If the bridge pins are still at the proper spacing and angle you might
get away with tuning.
There is always the option of offering to keep your ears open for a replace-
ment piano and walking away from this one. 1895 is right on the boarder for
tuning to A-440 without breaking to many strings. Being an Emerson and having
rust puts it over the edge. Why not give her an estimate to restring it?

Scott Johnson
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com

___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.21 [NR]