Wild Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 04 Jun 1996 08:31:11 -0400

John,
      It occurs to me that the pins may not be 'mushy' but 'bendy' or
'twisty'.  (I love this language!)
      If the string coils are way up in the air (more than 2mm or 1/8") then
the pins are flagpoling which makes them extremely difficult to control.  If
the pins are truly tight then driving them down to the proper height can cause
more aggrivation than solution.
      The best solution here is to get the strings settled in the way to like
them and only you tune the piano.  This is not really helpful but may help you
understand the problem.
      I personally would prefer tighter controlable pins than loooser
flapping in the breeze pins.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu