Stanwood Action Opinions

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 03 Jun 1996 03:08:26 -0400

>I've been looking into improving the action on my 'B'.  It was rebuilt a
year
>ago and although the action has all new Renner parts and new hammers it is
>still not as "exciting" as I'd hoped for.
>
>I've been trying to gather as much information as I can about David
Stanwoods
>approach to improving actions.  Is there anyone who has had the work done or
>has played piano's with this modification done to it?
>
>Mitchell Rivers

The perils of long-distance diagnosis notwithstanding, the word "exciting"
made me wonder if perhaps we're talking about voicing. Is any part of your
concern about the sound? Voicing affects primarily the sound, but can also
change the feel of the action. Would you be willing to describe your concerns
further? What age is your B? It sounds as if Renner shanks and repetitions
were used; are the hammers Renner as well? Did you like the sound before the
work?

My best advice would be to continue the conversation with your own
technician. Action overhauls are not just a matter of "fixing" the action.
There is considerable latitude for adjusting to the pianist's preferences
once new parts are correctly installed and played in. In addition, the
currently available parts are not an absolute match for the originals,
especially on older Steinways. That doesn't mean they won't work, and they
actually have some advantages. It just means that some modification might be
necessary to fit your particular needs. There may be considerably more your
own technician can do, if you can clarify your concerns. They don't have to
be in "technicalese"; just describe them as clearly as you can. Maybe we (the
list) can help, too.

Let us know -
Bob Davis, RPT