re; Rebuilding Cost Adjustments

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:38:00 -0400

 Avery Todd writes;

>  We recently had returned a rebuilt S&S 'B' which needs to have a few
relatively minor problems corrected. I have never been in this situation
before and would like some comments on whether or not any cost adjustment
>should be done before the bill is paid in full.

  > Should I just forget it and go ahead, or make some price adjustment.
>This was not done by anyone in this general area, so there is a
>considerable distance problem in asking the rebuilder to come and do the
>work.

Avery, ( and of course, List),

     If I sent a job out that required additional work, far away,  I would
feel obligated to go finish the job, or pay somebody there to do it. ( That
somebody better have a very clear agreement with the rebuilder about how much
responsibility they will be assuming, by trying to correct or finish a
rebuild that they did not do! ) Also,  I would want to deal with a top-grade
technician, and I would expect to be paying top dollar for their time.

     I am not sure I can point out ways of limiting your liability,  but is
the lack of sound due to the hammers, for sure?
     It is always possible that the sounding-structure, either by bearing
differences or soundboard  distortion,  has become unbalanced, and no hammer
in the world is going to make the piano feel responsive.
     I would install a couple of mounted Steinway hammers from a similar
piano that is in good favor,  and listen to  the tonal quality they produce.

Good luck,  keep us posted on how the situation   develops.

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville