tools for tuning and a sore back, was Re: SAT and hands

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:41:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Barb Barasa wrote:

> >So much for her. Now I have a problem, which I hope someone can help me with.
> >I have been having problems with my right shoulder blade. ( I am a right
> >handed tuner).  A muscle has become very tight in teh shoulder blade area,
> >and it gives me headaches. I have vibrating tool with a head on it, that
> >helps, but the problem never goes away. (When I go to bed, I lay on the
> >vibrator, and it relaxes the muscle.) (please no sick jokes here).
>

> >Willem Blees RPT
> >St. Louis
>
> I would suggest trying a Feldenkrais trainer.  The Functional Integration
> part of Feldenkrais work  involves VERY gentle movement of various body
> parts by the trainer, which teaches the body how to move effectively.  I
> have used this to avoid back pain when playing the violin for long hours
> without having played for years.  Playing the violin is similar to tuning in
> the sense that the body is twisted in a non-symetrical position.  The
> Feldenkrais trainer here is a musician and sax teacher at the university
> here himself, so he understands about this stuff first hand.
>
> This is just one suggestion.  There are lots of "body work" solutions that
> would also probably be effective.  But I can personally recommend good
> Feldenkrais work as quite amazing.
>
> I do not have any confidence in physical therapy as anything but a temporary
> fix.  If your body is being used in an ineffective way, the "symptom" will
> just re-appear.
>
> Just my opinion.  This is also quite effective for arthritis and other
> movement problems.  It doesn't "cure" the physiologic arthritis stuff, but
> helps the body move as effectively as possible.
>
> If you want a brochure or something, send me your address and I'll mail
> something.  There are Feldenkrais books available at many bookstores and
> university libraries -- both "popular" reading and very technical stuff.
> (Feldenkrais started out as a physicist, but switched to investigating
> physiology when he wanted to recover from severe damage to his legs without
> surgery and stuff.)
>
> Barb Barasa

Hey, people!

Shall we throw in F. Mathias Alexander's technique while we're at it?
Just a thought :)

Gordon

       Gordon Wilson                      Keyboard Studio
       voice 217.328.3975                 304 N. Maple Street
       fax   217.328.3983                 Suite 203
toll-free    800.821.1197                 Urbana, IL 61801
             e-mail   gwilson@prairienet.org
     home page    http://www.cu-online.com/~gwilson
  "Music?  Computers?  Both!?  We want to help!"