tools for tuning and a sore back

John von Rohr jvonrohr@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 02:00:44 +0000

I was a pianist and ended up having chronic pain in my left shoulder blade
ares and when I became a Technician (and essentially stopped playing) I
found that tuning did much the same damage. You may or may not need to
"strenghthen" that particular muscle but you need to use and support it
differently. Whether you see a PT or any other kind of help, you need to
sure that they are not after symptomatic relief but muscle and body
retraining. What I can't stress enough is that this is YOUR project and
ultimately it will be you who retrains your body with their help. It is a
big job as you have to be educated enough by them to do it your self. This
problem has likely been years in the making and may take a considerable
amount of tine to fix although immediate relief may be available. Relaxants
and Anti-inflamatories will help to get you through a crisis stage in order
to be able to function but if you use them to just keep going as you are you
will be in big trouble! Over the years I have consulted an Osteopath,
Chiropractor, Physical Therapist, Movement Therapist and more. They have all
had something to contribute and if I pay attention to my body I can avoid
excessive pain now. One thing they all stressed was that it was my problem
and would be my cure.
Have patience and make awareness of the problem and its solution part of you
everyday thought. You may eventually have to modify your Hammer Technique
and you are the best qualified to do that but the problem may not be
confined to tuning and work but how you use those muscles in general. Now
that there is weakness and pain, compensations come into play (as after any
injury) and your everyday use of those muscles may strain them also.
PS  overwork doesn't help!
JvR