Modern Kranich & Bach pianos

Arnold arnold@nando.net
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:38:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, S. Brady wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Ted Simmons wrote:
>
> > 1) Is there such a thing as a 2-year old Kranich & Bach?  And if there is,
> > does it use modern parts?
>

> Ted, I believe Baldwin has been selling pianos under the Kranich & Bach
> name for a couple of years or so, and I think they're made in China. Maybe
> Kent Webb could add some info here.
>

> Steve Brady, RPT		"Chaos is the law of nature; order is the
> University of Washington	dream of man."	--Henry Adams
> sbrady@u.washington.edu

	When I began working with Pearson Music, here in Raleigh, in 1987,
(they have eight stores in North Carolina), they were a Wurlitzer dealer
and sold three pianos under the name Kranich & Bach.  The
first was a truely unfortunate, Aolian-derived spinet, and the other two
were consoles, using a Chickering scale.  They were all three assembled
for them by Wurlitzer, and, I was told, Pearson Music had "obtained the
rights" to use the name Kranich & Bach on these pianos.  The two
consoles, especially the better one, weren't bad, although we are not
talking about one of the world's great pianos here; but, they weren't
bad.  Now that Wurlitzer is, officially, no longer, Pearson no longer
sells these pianos.  Perhaps they are being assembled by somebody else,
and the name Kranich & Bach has been "obtained" by somebody else, perhaps
Baldwin when they bought Wurlitzer.  > > >