True or False

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:08:26 -0400

    Mr. Coleman (no confusion as to which Jim I'm referring to),

    You recently wrote:

    "Which kinds of compromises should be made?  This is not just a simple
    matter of saying that machine tuning is better than aural tuning or that
    aural tuning is better than machine tuning.  On a well scaled piano,
    these problems are just not there for either type of tuning when it is
    well done."

    This seems to imply that for a poorly scaled piano (including many
    spinets) that the inverse is true.  That is, whether tuning aurally or
    by SAT, "these problems" ARE there with poorly scaled pianos, and
    regardless of how well we try to obtain a "really great" tuning on a
    poorly scaled piano it is just not possible.

    Thank you for your expertise and wisdom, Jim!!

    Regards,

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter, PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM