Sticking styrene flanges

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 07:14:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Barrie Heaton wrote:

> I take it then that you only use small amounts at a time.  Are you not
> concerned about the lubricant dripping through on to other parts of the
> planing mechanism.

*Very* small amounts.  Considering how small the bushings are, it doesn't
take much to soak them.  I haven't had problems with the stuff dripping
onto other parts.  Two suggestions:  1. Remove the action stack from the
keyboard and put it on the bench.  2.  Do a few practice applications
with the part removed from the stack -- so you can see how much pressure
is required to get the liquid out the end of the needle.  Once you're
confident of this, you can proceed with lubing without removing every
flange from the rails.  Proceed cautiously, all the same.

Good Luck!

Ron Torrella				Check out The Piano Page at:
Asst. Piano Technician	      http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
University of Michigan  	Provided in cooperation with Prairienet.