un-weighting

Keith A McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:03:43 -0500 (CDT)

>To further refine the process, I would suggest that you cut your plugs from
>sugar pine or any other suitable wood rather than using dowel plugs. Dowels
>are cut lengthwise which means that the ends of each dowel are end-grain.
>Using plugs cut from side grain and orienting the grain of the plug so that
>it runs in the same direction as the grain of the wood in the key will
>result in a much more stable repair. It also minimizes the possibility of
>the end grain absorbing too much moisture and causing undue stress in the
>key.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Tom Seay

Maybe you can help me out, Tom.  I realize now I said dowel plugs in my
post.  But what I meant was cutting off pieces from various diameters of
48" length of round pieces of wood.  What are they called?  Is that what
you are referring to when you say "sugar pine", or is it something else?
Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University