Kawai ABS flanges

Don Mannino 74473.624@CompuServe.COM
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

Ron,

Ray is no longer in charge of technical services for Kawai - his responsibility
is with Kawai Concert Services now, although he does still get involved in
service from time to time.

The reason I didn't respond to your first message is because I was hoping
someone else (who would not seem biased) would call attention to the basic
problem with your question - that is, you are saying the problem is with "these
Kawai ABS styrene flanges."

In my experience any type of flange can develop tight bushings, and the list of
possible causes is quite large. As I mentioned in an earlier post regarding
tight centers in another brand of pianos (with wood flanges), the cause is
generally in the bushing cloth, although problems could appear elsewhere also
(such as with the pin or birds-eye clearance).

The ABS flanges cannot contribute to tightness in themselves, so perhaps if you
looked elsewhere the solution could be found.  Have any lubricants been applied
yet (by you or a predecessor)? Has a sizing solution been tried? Have you had
any luck repinning parts? What did you find when you reamed the bushings?

If you would like to contact me directly with the model and serial number then
we can talk over what might be happening in this piano, and whether any warranty
service would be appropriate.

You may phone me at (800) 421-2177 ext. 310, or E-mail me at
74473.624@compuserve.com
Ray Chandler's phone # is (800) 274-0699 and his E-mail is
76307.2247@compuserve.com

Don Mannino RPT, Manager
Kawai Piano Technical Support

Ton Shiflet wrote:

>Hoping to catch somebody before Dearborn.  Does anyone know why these
>Kawai ABS Styrene flanges stick but haven't before and what can I do to
>correct them.
>	Does anyone know if Ray Chandler has an Email address and if so what it
is?