disinfecting piano

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 12:47:06 -0400

To the list,

I believe that a while back there was some discussion about cleaning and
disinfecting pianos that have mouse damage.  I recently obtained a 1902
Kimball (6'4") Grand.  It was one of those "if you can move it, you can have
it" deals.  It had been in a Summer camp, about 20 feet from a lake since at
least the 1940's.

It looks like it might be a reasonable project for me, but it's loaded with
mouse nests and all the nice things that go with them.  (it even had two dead
mice in the action cavity).

What would be the best way to clean up the keybed?  I'm not sure what future
problems I'd be creating by sloshing water and disinfectant all over the
keybed, but by not being aggressive enough, I might just be spinning my
wheels.  Clearly, cleaning this beast is the first priority before I do
anything else.  I'd also like to know what sure fire chemicals people have
used to do this kind of job.  (perhaps "sure fire" will prove to be the
operative term, but beyond my own time, I have nothing invested in this
piano.)

Gordon Large
Mt. Vernon, Maine
(Me. Chapter, PTG)