Ivory's

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:59:48 -0400

    I use rubbing compound (the automotive type, by DuPont, I believe) to
    rub out ivory - get it at any automotive store.  The red heavy
    duty compound is coarser than the white compound;  although, the red
    compound is still relatively fine (finer than 400 grit).  Start with the
    red using a slightly damp terry-type cloth and finish to a high gloss
    with the white.  These compounds clean up nicely, too.  I'm convinced
    hand rubbing produces the best results.

    To smooth deeper scratches or coarser surfaces in ivory start with 220
    grit paper to work down through the bottom of the scratch.  Graduate to
    320 grit, then 400 grit.  Now, move on to the rubbing compounds.  Works
    wonderfully!  As has been mentioned before, it's best to move in the
    direction of the ivory grain when sanding/rubbing, of course.

    Be careful at the end of the key overhang not to thin it too much when
    sanding.  Also, it's best to use a sanding block of some sort to avoid
    sanding an area of the key top surface thin and creating a depression,
    which will be noticeable to the touch - undesirable.

    Ivory is not all that difficult to work with.  Anything that the
    manicurist/pedicurist can do to our fingernails and toenails we can do
    to ivory keys!  Something to think about.

    Regards,

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM