Cholera, PVC-E,stinky pinkies, sticky pinkies, and other serious junque.

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Tue, 09 Jul 1996 00:43:05 -0800

>I wonder if people who hang hammers in piano factories consider themselves
>to be "Glue-collar" workers?
>
>Tom Seay, RPT

and in India they have Blue Cholera and White Cholera .................... eh???

>Is the PVCE glue that you can get from hardware store?
>
>- Jonsky

Available from Schaff Pianner Supply.  The glue in hardware stores that is
similar sounding is PVC glue used to glue PVC pipe together.  I've tried
using this to hold keytops also.  BAD CHOICE.  It eats plastic keytops with
no delay.  If used for long periods of time in small enclosed areas one
catches a rather nasty buzz off the stuff.

>From: bbarasa@tbcnet.com (Barb Barasa)

>Just out of curiosity, why DID you glue that beer bottle to that copper??  :-)

Well Barb, if ya really gotta know, I built my own variable capacitor for an
antenna tuner out of two pieces of copper clad phenolic for a ham radio
project.  It worked very well except I kept getting RF burns on my finger
tips when I'd slide the two pieces of Copper Clad for adjustment purposes.
These burns really stinked up the normally classy joint I live in and so
after numerous little burns (some of us are slow learners) I finished
drinking my beer (glass bottle) and glued that puppy on the copper clad to
effect an insulated handle.  It worked most goodestly.      (remember, you
asked why!!!)

>Also, the original topic of this was gluing ivories (as opposed to plastic).
>I've always used contact cement, but is there a problem with it reacting to
>ivories also?

Well, glueing ivory has been covered by a few on the list and a bunch of
them use glue wafers, hot hide glue, and the like.  I've been using Super
Glue for a few years and have enjoyed excellent results.  Cyanoacrylate
sticks your little pinkies together quite effectively and without
hesitation.  That tells me that mayhaps body parts react favorably with the
bonding process.  Ivory, being a body part of an Elephant (no not your
inlaw's, although ......hmmmm.), reacts very similar to that of glueing your
tender little pinkies together.  FAST and FIRM!!!  I clean the surface of
both the underside of the ivory, and the key.  If the glue wafer has turned
dark from dirty pinkies touching it, it will need to be cleaned until it is
white again, or a small amount of white spray paint will do the job.  The
paint need not be applied so heavy as to totally cover, just enough to get
the idea across through the ivory.  Most ivories are translucent and so they
will take on the basic idea of the color behind them.  Five drops of
Cyanoacrylate on the key in the pattern found on a 5 of whatever playing
card (four corners plus the center) keeping your distance from the junction
of the tail and the head.  You want the glue to "travel" when you press the
ivory on, but no so much so that it will come oozing up the "seam" at the
head/tail junction.  For really quick bonding spray some accelerator on the
underside of the ivory.  Do this some distance away from your open bottle of
Cyanoacrylate or any exposed glue.  Position the head with the tail holding
the ivory at an angle tilting up from the key.  Press firmly into place and
hold.  By the time you pick up your file to clean up the edges, the glue is
hard and ready to go.  If you prefer some working time, don't use the
accelerator.  There are different thicknesses of this stuff, water thin
being the quickest and a medium bodied glue that takes about 15 seconds or
so and then a heavy bodied glue that is good for filling gaps like those
found in my neighbors kid's head!!

I'm not sure who wrote about:

>Polyestermites were created by a laboratory for the CIA to use during the
>early years of the cold war against the Soviet Union and their emerging
>plastics technology. I ask you if you have ever seen this dimpling on Ivories?

but it shows good solid raisening and should be put on a talk show
somewhere.  Don't they sell chocolate covered Polyestermites in GOORMET
shops somewhere??  My wife often drags me in them stupid places to make me
learn how to be bored without actually showing it.

Oh well, I think I'll tell the servants they can go for the evening, and
I'll find my way up to the slumber chamber for a bit of rest.

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                  http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html (revised 5/96)
                         Beau Dahnker pianos work best under water