Aftertouch Adjustment

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 12:52:14 -0500

>Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 18:56:21 -0400
>From: BobDavis88@aol.com
>To: pianotech@byu.edu
>Subject: Re: Aftertouch Adjustment
>
>Subj:	Aftertouch Adjustment
>Date:	96-06-14 20:12:04 EDT
>From:	Almida@aol.com
>
>>My question is how do I set the capstan to the proper height?  Do I measure
>>from the hammers to the string?  If there is a range of correct settings,
>>what would that be?  Yesterday I went too far so I backed them down some
>more
>>and it feels alot better but I'd like to set it to a spec and then see how I
>>like it.  Are there other adjustments that need to be made due to the
>changes
>>I'm making with the capstans?
>>
>>Mitch -

<snip>

>Also, you are looking for race-car performance from a top-quality instrument,
>which is not unreasonable. While you may be able to make improvements through
>experimentation, and while it does help the technician when the client knows
>something about the action's workings, it MAY be unreasonable to expect to
>get the most subtle results on your own. After all, you wouldn't HIRE a
>technician who had as little experience as you do, and expect first-rate
>results.
>
>Please get back to us with details.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Davis

I just thought that I would mention something.  I think it is great that you
are taking an interest in the inner workings of your piano!  Not many
pianists seem to care very much or even have a desire to look "under the hood!"

And yes, while you may not be able to get the action perfectly regulated and
will probably want to call a qualified person, it is fun to change the
settings and see what it does, right!?  But to get the regulation "finely
tuned", you will probably want someone who knows what they are doing.  (Not
necessarily including myself here!)

I would suggest that if you are rally interested in learning how your piano
works, spend a week with Bill Garlick at his classes in New York, and I
think you will learn a lot. I haven't been there, but I have heard from
people who have been there and it is highly recommended.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/