whippen weightlessness

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 13:16:57 -0400

Hi Newton Hunt,

If weighing out this action is not an option then I'm not sure what to suggest.
My suggestion is to take upwt, downwt, and upwt with spring disengaged.
>From this data you can come up with two balance weight for each key.  One
with the spring engaged and one with the spring disengaged.

Take three measurments:

Up = UpWt with spring engaged
Down = DownWt with spring engaged
UPoff = UpWt with spring disengaged

>From these you will calculate two balance weights:

BW = BalanceWt with springs engaged
BWoff = BalanbeWt with springs disengaged

The formulas are:

BW = (Down + Up)/2
BWoff = UPoff + ((Down-Up)/2)

Where (Down - Up)/2 = Friction weight

I'll be touching on this at the "Changing the Way Pianos Feel" class in
Dearborn.

I would look for consistency and proper levels of BW and BWoff.

Change keylead configuration to correct BWoff.  Adjust spring tension to
correct BW.

If the BWoff is above 55 grams then the springs will be working too hard to
bring the BW down to an appropriate final BW of around 38 grams.

Ideally a rule of thumb is three leads in the bass two in the middle and one
in the treble.  However, actions with Strike Weight Ratios of from 5.0 to
5.7 are can tolerate more keyleaad usage, (more than the rule of thumb).

The best thing you can do is to make graphs of the data and show them to
your client along with hypothetical fixes.   This is the kind of stuff I do
for a living.  I know the graphs are very persuasive, even if the client
doesn't know what it all means.

David C. Stanwood