Hammer Jigs

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 20:28:37 -0400

Hi, John,
	I have two hammer hanging fixtures, one by John Ford and one by Bill
Spurlock.
	The Ford model allows hanging all the hammers at once.  An advantage if
the hammers have an even taper.
	I have grown to like and use the Spurlock unit because I can set my
samples with great precision at each section end the then use the fixture to
glue the rest in between.
	I like to fit and check, fit and check until I have the hammer on
perfectly on a very tight fit.  Instead of removing the hammer to glue it into
place I use thin CA glue to afix my samples in place without removing and
changing my carefully fitted alignment.
	I also like to bore my own hammers, taper them on the table saw and
then burn, align, travel and file then remove each one, shape the tail on the
disk sander to remove excess shank and shape.  I then can check my pinning
before continuing the regulation.  I can also, at this stage, weigh each hammer
for strike weight and increase or decrease weight accordingly.
		Newton
		nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu