UC position (was Re: hammer voicing)

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 15:08:54 -0500

At 09:54 AM 7/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Charles,
>   You wrote:
>
>>1.  Sometimes it is necessary to reduce the action travel in order to
>>produce an acceptable UC sound.  Last summer, when Steinway chief technician
>>Ron Conors spoke at the national seminar, he pointed out that in the
>>Steinway basement they do not attempt to make the hammer shift so far that
>>it completely misses the left string--this can produce the kind of sound you
>>describe.  Just a slight shift is usually all that is necessary to provide a
>>contrast in tone color.
>>
>>Charles Ball
>>School of Music
>>University of Texas at Austin
>
>   This brings up something that someone on the piano list (I believe it
>was) pointed out to me recently. Since pianists regularly use varying
>positions of the sustain pedal for various effects, why should the una
>corda pedal not be regulated so they can do the same thing? A slight shift,
>as you mention, for a color change, and a little more shift (to miss the
>left string) for a different type of sound.
>   Does this make sense to you?
>
>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT

Dear Avery,

That does make sense, but does not always work to your advantage as the
technician.  Usually, when working with professionals, you are safe to
provide a wide range of UC travel, so that the pianist can color (the UC
pedal on a grand piano is mostly for color contrasts, not for playing
softly--it is often overused!)at his or her discretion.

I tuned for the late pianist, Jorge Bolet, on a few occasions.  Each time,
virtually the only request he made was that I regulate the UC pedal so that
it had its maximum range of travel (just short of playing minor 2ond's).  I
have had similar requests from other artists.

But in a music school where a concert piano, for instance, will be used
mainly by students, you could be asking for trouble providing this range of
travel if the tone becomes excessively thin and pinched at its full shift,
as it often does with new hammers or hammers that have been juiced on the
crown recently.  Many less experienced pianists will use the UC pedal as
either off or on.

Personally, I like to provide as much range of movement as I can, while
still maintaining an acceptable tone quality in the full shift position.
But in many cases you will have to work with the tastes and desires of those
who will be using the instrument, or paying your bill.  In short, be flexible.

I will miss meeting you in Dearborn.  Good luck with your move into your new
facility.

Charles