Universal Bass Strings

Greg & Mary Ellen Newell gnewell@en.com
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 15:08:22 +0000

On Wed, 03 Jul 1996 07:35:16 -0400, Ted Simmons wrote:

>Dear list,
>   It's been about 2 years since I last used a universal bass string.  The
>last two that I used were dead, so I stopped using them opting to take
>string measurements and call them into one of the suppliers. It's true the
>strings have been stored in my car for quite some time and I'm sure the
>heat and humidity caused them to go dead.  My question is: does anyone have
>a way of predicting if a universal bass string is dead before installing
>it?  Also, does anyone have a quick method for removing the excess copper
>wrap from universals?
>   Ted Simmons

Ted, As to whether you can tell if it's dead before you install it,
....I haven't a clue. Please let us all know if you find out!!
Regarding the easy way of removing excess copper wrap, I've found
that once you get it started adn you've already cut the string to
rough size it works well to just pull off the waste in line with the
string. In order to do this you must get the unwinding started to the
point where it's at least even with the cut end of the string. At
that point stop unwinding in the normal way and just pull stright off
in line with the string. At this point (if the winding doesn't break)
it takes only seconds to get it to the point you want. Don't forget
to crimp,score or otherwise partially cut the winding at the point
you will be stopping before you start this or you will easily go too
far and ruin the string. Hope this helps.
					Greg
Greg & Mary Ellen Newell
gnewell@en.com
dt945@cleveland.freenet.edu