Bad Bad Lead!

BSimon1234@aol.com BSimon1234@aol.com
Mon, 01 Jul 1996 13:38:16 -0400

<<David C. Stanwood writes -----Don't inhale that SH--T or you might find
yourself stuttering more often.  Lead oxide is POISON!   Don't inhale or
ingest it!  It won't go through your skin. >>

Well, David is right.  Lead oxide, white lead, etc. - is "poisonous," but it
ain't plutonium. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have worked with lead
at various times and thought I would add some rational comments to the
 irrational discussion and fear of lead in any form.

Here they are.-
 According to the EPA, one adult died in the US in the last three years  due
to lead poisoning. He was a bullet caster who worked in his basement, which
had a coating of lead dust  everywhere and always ate sandwiches in the shop
without washing up first, according to his daughter. He did this for 10
years.

Children and lead based paint - children take up lead oxides at a far higher
rate than adults. Their physiology is different. Ever wonder why they would
go around eating lead based paints? - They taste sweet. ( try it - then spit)
Actually, wealthy romans for a time actually flavored some foods with lead
oxides for the sweet taste, and of course never caught on, so they went out!

White lead oxides should not be eaten, or breathed, etc - but the oxide isn't
very soluble in water. There are other coumpounds of lead, especially a
yellow oxide that is formed at higher temperatures that are very soluble, and
extremely dangerous to breath.

Key leads - recrystalization of impurities in key leads to a different and
less dense state can account for the "swelling" noticed frequently. Pure lead
is very dense and impermeable to air. Alloyed lead is "open" grained, and
after years of internal oxidation and kinetic molecular motion, can change
structure and swell.

Who is it that started everyone to fearing everything everywhere? Someone
convince you that you can live forever if you lead a pure life? The
government?

Lead is a darn useful product used for more than just balancing tires. Don't
stay awake nights worrying about it.

Bill Simon.