Pin Dope

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:18:25 -0600

Part of Les Smith's post:
>...Lastly, to repeat what I said earlier, make
>sure that you have plenty of help when you set the piano down on it's back
>and again when you raise it back to it's upright position. You need at least
>two other strong people to help you, or you run the risk of seriously injur-
>ing yourself. No piano's worth that risk, especially an old upright. Good
>luck.

I have been using the portable piano tilter off and on since 1978 and have
been able to do the job myself.  In fact I have two of them, one for shop,
the other for on the road.  I'm about 5' 7", 145 lbs.  I have made some
welding modifications to the feet as I wasn't satisfied with the production
arrangement.  Extended them abit with a 3/4" rod with strengthened the feet
considerably.  Also, I use one or two slats to take up slack when the
bottom board doesn't line up either in back or underneath, or both.

Though it most likely would be prudent and safer to have another person
assist as Les suggests, it certainly hasn't been necessary to date for me.
The portable piano tilters are very nice.  Bought them both back when they
were less than half the price of what they are now.  Incredible.  Still
going strong, those guys.

Great for caster work, also!

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731