CAUT SPECIFIC

Don Mannino 74473.624@compuserve.com
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 00:14:56 -0500 (EST)

Larry Fine stated:

>>Boston verticals are made by Kawai in Japan (not at Kawai's plant in North
Carolina) and are similar in quality (as far as I can tell) to Kawai pianos.
 Boston says (naturally) that they are a little better than Kawais -- perhaps
slightly, but probably not significantly.  Kawai pianos, especially the
larger ones made in Japan, are quite good.  I think they should hold up just
as well as Yamahas.  However, unless you are getting some kind of special
deal, Boston pianos are no less expensive than Yamahas.  You might be able to
get a better deal by buying the version under the Kawai name, with little, if
any, loss of quality.<<

The Boston 118 upright is made in the Kawai factory in Lincolnton, North
Carolina. As far as I know this is the only Boston model made there. It is
similar to the Kawai UST-7 which is also made there, except the cabinet is made
of different materials: The Boston uses particle board cores on most cabinet
parts, while the Kawai uses hardwood (mostly oak) core on this model.

The Kawai is also available with a lower cost cabinet and back structure as the
UST-8.  It has the same scale and action as the venerable UST-7, but with an MDF
cabinet and a slightly lighter-weight back structure.

Don't mean to advertise here - just thought it would be best to correct a little
misinformation before it went too far.

Don Mannino RPT, Manager
Kawai Piano Technical Support
74473.624@compuserve.com