CAUT SPECIFIC -Reply....

Barbara E. Richmond brichmon@e-tex.com
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:30:55 -0600 (CST)

>   The cedar rapids, Iowa public schools
>bought several Walters....

snip

>one of the teachers who got one
>of them is the wife of a prof here....
>she thought it was too bright....and
>they own a yamaha grand!!!!!

Ewwww, I hate it when people complain that a piano (or this brand or that brand)
is too bright or too mellow, as if it was the piano's fault!  True, certain
makes *might* have a tendency on way or another, but it's the technician's
job to voice for the taste of the owner or in the case of an institutional
setting, voice appropriately for the instrument's use (always with
permission, of course).

I can't tell you how many times customers have complained about the tone
quality (bright or mellow) of their instruments and when I asked them if
they'd like me to change it, would be amazed that it could be done and
pleased with the results. (I always ask about voicing the same time I ask if
there are any technical difficulties like sticking keys, noisy pedals, etc.)
Sometimes, I've mentioned the possibility of changing the voicing even if
the customer hasn't brought it up, just as I would point out a technical
problem if I saw one and they were unaware of it.

Technicians of the world, learn to voice!  You are not doing the whole job
of servicing a piano until you include voicing.

Barbara Richmond
brichmon@e-tex.com
Palestine, Texas