Accutuner Dual System

Lawrence A. Gardner 70714.1631@compuserve.com
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 02:13:06 -0500 (EST)

I admit, this gets confusing....

The stretch numbers are HIGH on the plain wire strings and LOW on the wound
strings.  So, if the G3 is the first plain wire string, you take the regulare F3
reading (maybe 8c)(you may add to this stretch somewhat ), A4 & C6 readings
normally.  Store on Page 1.

Then, you take the G3 reading, make that the F3 stretch (we'll call this the
fake F3 reading).  Store these on page 2.  Note that the SAT will not accept any
stretch values above 20c for F3, so don't even worry if it is above 20c, just
store 20c.

Next, take a mute, and stick it between the keys at the G3(or mute off all three
strings, etc.), so you don't forge to change pages when you get to the plain
wires.

Next, I tune the A2 to A4 temperament, Page 1 from A2 to F#3, Page 2, G3 to A4.
Then I check the octaves and contiguous thirds, for problems.  I might change a
setting at this point.

Then I go back and tune the entire piano.

Now, say for instance the break is between E3 and F3, F3 being the first plain
wire string.  Measure fro FAC normally, store on page 1.

Then, measure the stretch for E3  as you would for F3, and make that number the
fake F3.  Store it on page 2.

Put your reminder mute in at F3.

Tune your temperament, A2 to A4. starting on PAGE 2 for A2 to E3;  and tuning F3
to A4 on Page !.

Check your temperament aurally, and make needed corrections.  Then tune the
whole piano.

When your done, and you want to keep this tuning, store the plain wire stretch
numbers on an appropriate page.  Then, write down the wound string page for the
values from A0 to G3 (example).  Go home and store those values all on one page,
so next time you won't have to do it again!

 I just caught on to this because of a recent class given by Dr. Sanderson at
the California State Conference.  It does seem to make a very positive
difference.

I hope this is understandable.

Larry Gardner, RPT