Re tuning hammer tips

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 16:25:37 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  4:23 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re tuning hammer tips                 Date:  2/24/96

Good  tips are made with good tool steel and should not wear out quickly. My
original tips are over 25 years old and still going strong (mostly Hale). I
have bought additional tips throughout the years for students here at Oberlin
who have studied tuning with me, though not recently. We found that old Hale
tips and new Ford tips fit our Steinways best. However, these tips did not fit
as well on older style Japanese tuning pins.  Obviously the dimensions on the
various pins and tips are not necessarily compatible.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory