technical humor

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 07:44:46 -0800

I come from a family of strange people.  I've taught them the finer details
of the art and have taken up an equally strange occupation.  I got a snicker
out of my brother's letter to me.  Since only piano technicians would
appreciate this humor to it's full extent, here's hoping it cheers up your day.

clip

Larry,

My piano keyboard is still in pretty good shape considering
that it is 21 years old this May.  I would like to pick your
brain on something that's hard to describe..

When any key is pressed, there might be some downward motion
of the key before the hammer is engaged.  If I remember right
on an upright there is a jack thingie that gooses the backside
of a hammer making it jump with embarassment toward the strings
where it gets whacked in the face and then gets rudely pulled
back in line by the strap.  When it gets goosed, that's when it
gets engaged.  Such is the life of a hammer (and maybe young
folks too).

That part where the key is moving down, but the jack thingie
still hasn't goosed the hammer... is that called lost motion?

unclip

In case any of you want to respond in kind, nail a note on my mail box.  He
needs to know of the kind of people I hang with.

Regards.

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                     phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
   .......and the piano's keyboard smiled at me and said, "I dare you to
tune me!"