Tuning Hammer Tips

Mike Bingham 71672.467@compuserve.com
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 09:44:48 -0500 (EST)

>>Tuning hammer tips wear out after a couple years or so. I have received a
>new No. 2 hammer tip for a Hale hammer from Am. Piano Supply (APSCO). It
>just seemed like it didn't fit deep enough on the tuning pin for a No. 2. On
>a very tight pin it seemed like the tuning pin might even break. So I
>ordered a No. 3. Guess what? The No. 3 is actually smaller than the No. 2.
>So now I have two new tips and can't use either.

>Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'll call APSCO and probably get
t>his worked out. Anyway this would be a good time to have some chatter about
t>uning hammer tips. Is there some standard measurements for these tips or
>does each makers just estimate?  Apparently they vary among makers.

>At one of the conventions years ago someone suggested using No. 3  for most
t>unings. Some tuners I guess change tips for each particular piano. I tried
>tis once but found it difficult. I'd rather have two hammers but then I'm
>not willing to carry both in my kit. Naturally if the piano has  larger
>tuning pins than No. 2 a larger tip is necessary.

>Let's hear your ideas on this topic.

>Sy Zabrocki--Billings, Montana
>only4zab@mcn.net

Sy,

I experienced the same thing as you with a Hale #3 tip from APSCO that is
actually smaller than my other #2's. I just chalked it up to mis-labeling or
poor quality control which we experience occaisionally in this profession <G>

It would seem to me that individual tuning technique and preference have alot to
do with tips and sizes <whew>. After tuning for years with primarily #2 tips, I
switched over to a #3 tip as I found that it allowed me to get closer to the
pinblock point of resistance, therby allowing _me_ to have better control over
the tuning pin. During this same period, I became ambi-dexterous on Grand
tunings, left handed for UR's (I'm RH'd). I also swithced to the "Wand". All of
this allowed me to work "smart" and balance out body leverages.

Mike Bingham, PTG
Disklavier/PianoDisc Technician
Toms River, NJ