Tuning Hammer Tips

Arnold arnold@nando.net
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 07:04:58 -0500 (EST)

We were taught, when I was in school at the Piano Hospital and Training
Center, in Vancouver, Washington (I have never heard any other comments
about this school on this list, but it is a good one, too), that the tip
should fit as close to the coil as possible, without being loose, for
best results.  I have both a number 2 and 3, I guess I use the 3 mostly,
except when it is too loose and jiggly for good pin setting. We were also
told that, although it is a little more expensive, buy the whole tip and
head that screws onto the hammer shaft.  That way, it is much easier to
change.  Then replace the tip itself when it wears out.  Unfortunately, I
don't have one of those little "deals" that clamps into a vice that is
used to loosen the tip from the head; I guess I could just use an old
tuning pin.  I hope the two tips mentioned in the original post were
defective, rather than the sizing being determined by each maker.  What
would be the point in having sizing at all if it is so random.

Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC