Tuning Hammer Tips

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@mcn.net
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 00:15:23 -1000

Tuning hammer tips wear out after a couple years or so. I have received a
new No. 2 hammer tip for a Hale hammer from Am. Piano Supply (APSCO). It
just seemed like it didn't fit deep enough on the tuning pin for a No. 2. On
a very tight pin it seemed like the tuning pin might even break. So I
ordered a No. 3. Guess what? The No. 3 is actually smaller than the No. 2.
So now I have two new tips and can't use either.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'll call APSCO and probably get
this worked out. Anyway this would be a good time to have some chatter about
tuning hammer tips. Is there some standard measurements for these tips or
does each makers just estimate?  Apparently they vary among makers.

At one of the conventions years ago someone suggested using No. 3  for most
tunings. Some tuners I guess change tips for each particular piano. I tried
this once but found it difficult. I'd rather have two hammers but then I'm
not willing to carry both in my kit. Naturally if the piano has  larger
tuning pins than No. 2 a larger tip is necessary.

Let's hear your ideas on this topic.

Sy Zabrocki--Billings, Montana
only4zab@mcn.net