Voicing the GH1

Daniel Dover Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:22:08 -0500 (EST)

--- Randy Potter wrote:
I learned this from Joe Garrett, Portland Chapter, who evaluated the scale
and designed a string change which takes those first six notes from three
plain wire to two wound strings (you use the two outside pins, leaving the
*former* center string's pin naked), which does a very, very good job of
blending the tone of the center into the bass, and requiring only very minor
poking and shoving of the hammers.
And because of the tension changes, once the new strings have settled in they
tend to hold pitch better than the plain wires did.
Joe shared this with Yamaha, who had replacement strings made, and
technicians like myself have ordered them from Y in the past and installed
them on GH1s. (Several years ago they turned the production and supply of all
non-current / out-of-warrantee (i.e. over 10 years old) strings to Schaff, so
I suppose that is whom you would call for them now.
--- end of quoted material ---

Randy,

Thank you!  This is very useful info!  I had assumed there was a serious
scaling problem but never knew that something had been done about it.  It's
always nice not to have to reinvent the wheel.  That is one of the most
valuable advantages of Pianotech.

 I just called Schaff.  They do have the strings in stock.  You can order a
partial set of set #5081-- ask for the last (highest) 12 strings in the set.
Phone: 800-747-4266.

I have one customer in particular who is going to be very happy to hear about
this.

Danny Dover, RPT
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH