Milky Satin Finish

Matthew Doudt mjdoudt@iquest.net
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 07:42 -0500 (EST)

I'm looking for some finish help.  I have a customer who received a Young
Chang G-157 with a satin walnut finish as a gift.  The piano is brand new
and the finish has a milky white haze to it.  The owner in a professional
furniture builder and called me immediately to see if there was anything he
could rub it out with to get rid of the haze.  I'm a technician and not a
finish expert so I ask several people and got several different answers.

One person said it happens during the curing process and is in the finish
and not fixable without re-finishing the piano.  Someone else thought there
may have been a residue on the finish that clashed with Windex (what the
dealer uses to clean pianos) and caused this kind of reaction.  One other
person said he'd seen it before and saw someone successfully rub the piano out.

I tried a little rubbing with steel wool to no avail and also tried some of
Yamaha's new satin finish polish which made it look better but didn't get
rid of the milky haze.

I'm wondering is this a true defect in the finish and should the piano be
replaced or could a professional finish person return the piano to its
proper look.  I've seen many other YC satin finishes and never seen one this
bad.

Any help would be appreciated!

Matthew Doudt
Indianapolis, IN