Instrument condition

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:45:25 -0500

>>  The windings went on top of each other, not one of the pins
>> had three windings, some ran across the plate, some weren't pounded in all
>> the way ... !!
>
>Barb,  I'm not sure what you mean by windings running across the
>plate.  Would you mind explaining it for me?

Some of the strings had windings so low on the pin that the string was
actually rubbing on the plate.  It's my understanding that this could cause
the string to break eventually, since the string would be binding against the
plate.  This seems different than a string running through an agraffe or some
other place where, on a very small segment of string, it is *supposed* to
have contact.  But maybe I'm wrong on this.  Anyway, no strings ever broke in
the three years I tuned it, and it stayed in tune remarkably well especially
considering the humidity and temperature fluctuations in the theater.  But I
felt kind of sad for the piano when I looked at it.