Slow Hammer Return

Pianotoone@aol.com Pianotoone@aol.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:41:23 -0500

>>The Piano is a 14 year old Young Chang Grand Model G-185.  The hammer moves
>>back toward the rest position just fine until about the last 3/4 inch.
 Then
>>slow considerable.  I have checked all pivit points, center pins,
>>bushings,ect.  Everything is fine...Am I right in assuming that I need to
>>remove some lead weight from the key?  And if so.  Do you just drill out
>some
>>or how do you proceed...
>>
>>Dick Day
>>Marshall, MI
>
>Before you undertake any attempts to modify the key leads, Dick, would you
>please clarify exactly which  pivot points, centerpins, bushings, etc. you
>did check, and the method(s) of how you checked them?
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT
>kam544@ionet.net
>Oklahoma Baptist University
>Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

Thanks for your interest.  It would be easiest if I told you that everything
related to that particular key moved freely.  I removed the whippen, and the
hammer flopped back to rest in a normal manor.  I removed the key and checked
for tightness at the center and back rail.  Every moving part in the whippen
moved easily and returned to rest position.  When I reinstalled the whippen,
help of the hammer and held down the key,  the whippen pivoted on its flange
freely.  I cleaned and smoothed the knuckle, and also made sure their was no
drag where the knuckle meets the end of the jack.  Hope this helps.

Dick Day
Marshall, MI >