thanks

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 13:42:59 -0600

>I received a large number of private help messages to my inquiry about
>coiling piano strings on tuning pins. THANKS!
>
>I have found something that works pretty well for me after some
>experimentation...and I have now replaced the few broken strings in my old
>K & B. The new strings do sound a tiny bit 'brighter' than the old, and
>the piano as a whole does sound pretty nice. A bit more tuning to do and
>one sticking jack and I'm all (mostly all) done. [one tuning pin, on the
>left string of a440, is a bit loose, and not holding tune
>perfectly...guess I will try some of the 'pinblock restorer' stuff on it.
>Funny thing, every other pin seems tight as can be, after 100 years...]
>
>Again thanks, I really appreciate the help.
>
>Mark
>_______________________________________
>Mark Krieger
>UniPress Software     http://www.unipress.com
>msk@unipress.com      (908)287-2100 x937

Mark,

Before you try the pinblock restorer, try this:

Take the string off the tuning pin, take the tuning pin out of the hole and
put thin maple veneer inside the hole, placing a strip on each side of the
hole (i.e., one at 9:00 and one at 3:00). After supporting the pinblock
from underneath with a jack on the keybed (action removed, of course) and
piece of wood on the bottom of the pinblock, tap the tuning pin back inside
the pinblock, stopping slightly short of being even with the others. Then
place the wire back on the tuning pin, snug up the coil and tune up to
pitch. Tap down the pin  even with the others, if necessary.

This will usually do the job and you won't contaminate the pinblock. The
use of restoring fluid is really a last resort when nothing else will work.

Good luck.

Tom Seay
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at Austin