Bone keytops

PSIWKO@aol.com PSIWKO@aol.com
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:37:27 -0500

Avery,

I'm not so sure what type of "bone" material you're talking about. I'm a
professional pianist and pro-pianotech. I've been playing on hundreds of
pianos in US and Europe as well (my backgound comes from the European piano
traditions). I know ivory preety well and do not like at all. It has
something to do with the moisture my fingers develop after playing a few
minutes. I've seen one interview (TV) with A.Rubinstein where during a
rehearsal he sprayed the keyboard with the hair spray in order to get a
better "grip" on the keyboard (ivory). Personally I feel "at home" playing on
current plastic key-tops.
Actually I was wondering if any of you guys (pianotech list) ever experinced
a  pianist complaining about the lack of friction on the ivory. Did you do
anything to accomodate him/her before the recital?  [ what about laquer! :) ]

This is my first posting on this list and would like to welcome everybody in
the pianotech world in the USA. Currently I am associated with the Indiana
University and live in Bloomington, IN.

Greetings to all,

Paul Bajon