fortepiano front key bushing (correction)

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for confusing information relating to Allen Wright's
remarks on the `Graf' fortepiano with the noisy front key
bushings...the top-of-the-key hardwood buttons I mentioned, refer, of
course, to the balance rail mortices, and not the front bushings!
When I said that Graf did not use any hardwood `shoes' under the
keybushings this was correct...the front bushing was carefully lined
with soft leather throughout Graf's career, two lining pieces neatly
folded onto the bottom of the key at each side were sufficient to
effectively reduce play, wear and noise.  In Graf's earlier pianos
he used a straight line of front bushing pins, then changed to a
staggered line, so accidentals were pinned near the front, sometime
around 1825 or so. Similar change from round to oval pins at about
the same time, brass rod probably hammered flat to get the right
cross section. The Viennese action is particularly sensitive to
lateral sloppiness in the keys, since the hammers are key mounted, so
a good front bushing is crucial to obtain consistent tone. Earlier
fortepianos were guided by pins between the keys at the back, or
tongues in a rack behind the keys.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686