:Scraping Hamilton jacks/butts

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:03:34 -0600

At 09:44 AM 2/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>> I have a customer with a Baldwin Hamilton from the 1980's.  There is a
>>> scraping noise when the key is released and the jack resets. . .
>>
>>Corfam problem.  You need to replace the corfam.  It was used in
>>place of leather on the butts, i.e. the butt catcher and butt skin.
>>

>>vince mrykalo  rpt
>>byu provo utah
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>The piano is probably out of it's warrantee period.  However, Baldwin will
>still send you the replacement leather (at least they have in the past),
>they just won't pay you to install it.  BTW the whole job only takes 2-3
>hours
>
>----
>Rick Florence, Piano Technician
> Arizona State University School of Music
> Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu

Wow! Man, you are fast! Do you do these by E-mail? You could subcontract
them by the thousand, make a good living, and still feed technicians all
around the country. How about the necessary action regulation afterward?
Also, the last set of Baldwin supplied replacements I saw seemed to be a
more sophisticated artificial leather than what was on there originally, but
an artificial nontheless. That was six or seven years ago so I don't have
any idea what you'll get now. 2-3 hours... mutter mutter

 Ron Nossaman