Knocking Steinway keyframe ??

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 06:59:05 -0500

         When the keyframe is knocking, and one is trying to remember to
bring the bits, drill, plugs, veneer, glue, etc....................

         is it not be faster and easier to replace the brass hold-down plate?
  They are not expensive,(at least no more than the time to repair the old
one). and only require a quick filing to fit.

     Perhaps someone could tell me why the new S&S end-pins, the square ones,
are made with a smaller thread than the old round ones.  It is no longer a
matter of screwing a new pin in, but rather, drilling out and plugging the
hole, indexing and redrilling a hole, and then screwing in the pin. This is
 a pain  I would like to avoid,  anybody know of a source for the originals??

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works