red hammers

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 17:11:17 -0500

Bill;
 over the years I have seen all colors of hammers, maybe they come from
technicolor sheep !!  I really do not know why some hammers were colored as
you describe, if you find out let us know.
 For the second part about hardening solutions, if you had ten techs in  a
room you would have ten different answers and a few good reasons for those
answers.   I use laquer and not sanding sealer (why? because sealer is loaded
with sterates and stays close to the surface as does the plastic solution).
with my laquer solution at various percentages (10%--20%)
depending on the time available I use regular laquer thinner.
Acetone is a quicker drying agent than is thinner and is more appropiate
where time is a factor i.e. '4 hrs before a performance'
Patience is the main ingredient in developing hammers thru liquid hardeners,
in my experience 1, 2, or 3 applications over a period of days is much better
than one heavy soaking.
  Hope this is of some help.
Jim Bryant