Cracked plates

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 23:27:22 -0600

Part of Randy Rush's post:
>...to those of you who have seen more cracks is: is the crack always very
>obvious?...

A radical drop in pitch from A440 after a pitch raise and tuning in a short
period of time is certainly one excellent indication of some structural
problem, and would be an excellent signal to start searching for the place
of weakness.

Part of Eric Leatha's post:
>...My first experience with a cracked plate was a piano I now own.  I had tuned
>it 6 months previous and noticed it was 40 cents flat again (this was when I
>had an SAT)...

One such grand piano did that to me, pretty much is the same fashion as you
described happened to you, except it only took three weeks to drop back to
where it was on the first visit.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University