S&S D Action Question (original parts?)

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 23:33:40 -0500

I have been trying to regulate a Steinway D at a local college.    The
pre-existing condition of the action regulation was > 3/8" dip, with a hammer
blow distance of 2+"!  (not much aftertouch)  I thought this would be an easy
one to improve in a hurry.

This piano was built in 1981, and as far as the schools records indicate,
they have owned it since 1983.  Nowhere in these records does it show that
the hammers were replaced.  The hammers are Steinway hammers (at least they
say so, and look like them) but the tails are only one inch long, and rather
then being rounded, the molding is straight with a 1/4' bevel.  This bevel
has some serious notches cut into it, and there is only that 1/4" contact
with the backcheck.  On a medium or firm blow, the hammers check, but on a
light blow they don't even get close to checking.

I don't get to see many S&S D's.  Was this how the action was originally
built?  Could this action, as is, be regulated correctly, or would it seem
that someone must have changed things before the school received the
instrument?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gordon Large
Mt. Vernon, Maine