Knocking keyframe

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 21:10:57 -0500

Avery Todd rote, 2/15:
<<Can someone offer me correct "fix" for the problem. Unless the guides are
worn, the only thing I can think of is to plug and rebore the screw holes
 for the guide plate slightly lower. >>

Go ahead and replace the original guides with the fully adjustable, nylon
ones available from YoMamaha or Pianotek. But prepared to enlarge the cut-out
in in the keyblock with a router, specificallly for the vertical adjusting
screw (the one taking over the job of the leather and cardboard shims at the
front in of the block). Do all these provisions for adjustment bother me, are
they inherently less stable? Who cares, they're a snap to reset.

BTW, don't expect to get out of this one before crwawling forward from the
backrail (including checking that the action frame  properly sits on the
keyframe without distorting it durin the fastening), the glides and finally
front rail. You need the first floor before you can start on the third floor.

<<With some contact cement I glued a thin, narrow piece of veneer onto the
guide pin in the action frame. It worked. The action shifts easily and no
noise. >>

Wood on bronze under pressure should last just about long enough for the
modern nylon guides to arrive from Pianotek.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, PTG

"If you are in a dilemma about where to park your car, ask your hostess. If
she is engaged, ask some responsible person who can indicate a convenient
spot"
Betty White's Teenage Dance Book (paperback, 1959)