Cracked plates

Tunerguy@aol.com Tunerguy@aol.com
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:09:58 -0500

About  4 years ago I was contracted by a very nice lady to rebuild a vertical
( 80 year old Kimball) that had tremondous sentimental value. Also she had
refinished the case and had done a truely beautiful job of it. We carefully
transported it to the shop. And as we were taking the strings off it, a crack
started to appear in the brace(part of the plate)
It must have been hidden under the paint. Anyhow we already had recieved (and
spent) 1/2 of the contracted price. We were absoutely desolate. Then as often
happens in this business a chain of events happend that led up to our
discovering some REALLY HI-TECH AND EXPENSIVE  EPOXIE  from  3M in Atlanta.
This stuff was strong enough to repair central shafts on
generators!!!!!!!!!!!   It was difficult to use temperature wise and it had a
long set up period, and very specific requirements concerning cleaning ert.
etc., etc....   To make a  short story long.... It worked  !!1!!!!

True enough we had to tune it 100% low  but it's back in the lady's house and
she loves it.............   And I'm still tuning it. and It holds>>>>>>>>>>