Re Backchecks

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:16:23 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  7:16 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Backchecks                         Date:  2/15/96

--------------ORIGINAL POST--------------

.And I say its easier, quicker and affordable to just replace the whole
backcheck. You can redrill the holes to the precise depth necessary, drive
'em in to proper height, regulate, and your done.  I like the new lighter
weight design anyway. To remove the old ones, I heat up the wire and pull
it right out.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu
djohn@skypoint.com

I weighed some old style checks (Steinway) and the new style. All were new
checks, not worn at all. The new style is slightly (a fraction of a gram as I
recall) heavier than the old. I guess the extra wire in ther new makes up for
the reduced amount of wood.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory