No subject

BDeTar@aol.com BDeTar@aol.com
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 02:58:36 -0500

ark

Welcome to the "club" of piano technicians.

Re your request for instructions on string replacement, I taught a "mini
technical" at one of our conventions and still have the handout file.  I hope
this helps you out.

Brian De Tar RPT            "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!!"
BDeTar@aol.com

      String Replacement/Repair
      by Brian De Tar
              May 90

REPLACEMENT; DOUBLE STRING
1.    Remove action (if necessary) or tilt it back;
2.    Remove broken string from tuning pin/pins;
3.    Turn tuning pins out 1-1/2 turns;
4.    Measure Wire to determine gauge;
      A.    gauge = diam. - 5 /2;
5.    Cut a piece of wire slightly longer than needed; bend in half using hitch
pin or                  similar;
6.    Place through agraffe or under pressure bar;
7.    Place string on hitch pin;
8.    Measure approx. 4 fingers from tuning pin;
9.    Cut string to length;
10.   On separate tuning pin, wind string 2-1/2 turns;
11.   Remove from spare pin, place on tuning pin in piano;
12.   Repeat for string two;
13.   Holding string up with string lifter, put enough tension on string to
hold becket                  in place;
14.   Repeat with second string;
15.   Check to make sure strings are seated on hitch pins, routed through
bridge                   pins, becket is tight in tuning pin hole, and coil
is tight;
16.   Pull up to pitch;
17.   Reseat strings
      A.    to bridge and hitch pins;
      B.    squeeze string around hitch pin;
      C.    stretch string with wood, brass or soft steel;
            1.    between hitch pin and bridge pin;
            2.    speaking length;
            3.    between pressure bar and tuning pins;
      D.    lift strings on each side of agraffe/pressure bar;
18.   Make sure strings are level and damper is seated;
19.   Make sure coils are level (you should be able to see hole in tuning pin;
20.   Fine tune.

SINGLE STRING REPLACEMENT

1.    Using round nose pliers or hitch pin, make a loop;
2.    Maintaining continuity with the rest of the piano, wind coils in same
direction;
3.    Proceed as above from step #6.

STRING SPLICING

1.    Use wire 1/2 size larger than broken wire;
2.    Use vise grips to form loop on end of each portion of string
      A.    #1 clock-wise;
      B.    #2 counter clock-wise;
      C.    Make loops approx. same size as as wire diameter;
3.    Make first loop on new wire and thread on broken string, then make loop on
                 broken string, slide tight;
4.    Proceed as above from step #6.

WOUND STRING REPLACEMENT

1.    Dead strings may sometimes be rejuvenated by twisting in the direction of
                 wrap;
2.    Check for liquid contaminant on windings (silicone, oil or grease);
3.    To get replacement, provide string maker with:
      A.    core diameter;
      B.    overall diameter;
      C.    distance from hitch pin to start of wrap;
      D.    total length of wrap;
      E.    wrap material;
      F.    single or double wrap;
4.    Universal strings should only be used until a replacement string can be
                 installed;
5.    On universal strings, remove wrap approx. 1/4" closer to hitch pin and
approx.                   1/4" further away from agraffe or plate pins;
6.    Proceed as in above from step #6.

                      PIANOTECH Digest 221

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Key cleaning
      by Yardbird47@aol.com
  2) humidity
      by DAMPPCHASR@aol.com
  3) Re: worn back checks &squeaky wippens
      by Frederick G Scoles <scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU>
  4) Re:  commercial HCS
      by DAMPPCHASR@aol.com
  5) Re: worn back checks &squeaky wippens
      by Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>
  6) Re: worn back checks &squeaky wippens
      by Vince Mrykalo <REEVESJ@ucs.byu.edu>
  7) subject headings please!
      by johnsond@stolaf.edu (Dennis Johnson)
  8) Cracked plates