Instrument condition

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@pipeline.com
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 06:52:26 -0500

Dear colleagues -

Here in New York City (and in my previous work at Berklee College of Music
in Boston), pitch raising is (was) a commonly encountered necessity.

I've had the most success in achieving  _great_ one pass results by using
the new Sanderson AccuFork II. With its tunable frequency slider and volume
controls, as well as its 4 chromatic sounding notes (A - A# - B - C) the
device assists me in attaining really splendid results.

I'm very much an aural tuner - using the Baldassin/Sanderson temperament as
much as possible. Following the pitch raise instructions that came with the
AccuFork II, one can analyze easily the amount of required over pitch -
generally 1/3 above A440 as compared to the total amount flat in cents.

I then set a quick, accurate temperament, and the results are always
incredibly precise. No guessing is involved. The AccuFork II is a truly
efficient, magnificent assistant and is a real pleasure to use. The final
tuning is invariably a simple matter of further adjustment. So many of the
temperament intervals, as well as the octaves throughout are so
astonishingly close to correct after the pitch raise that it's truly
uncanny.

I also quickly check the initial flatness of the bass strings with the
AccuFork II. If they are not as flat as the plain wire, then I won't over
pitch them as much as the plain wire.

--

Best regards to all on the pianotech listserv.

1996 New Year's Resolution: Retest, and rejoin PTG!

Sincerely,

Thomas A. Sheehan
Concert Systems, Inc.
aquinas@nyc.pipeline.com